WVNTR – The Nigeria Customs Service has issued a Security Alert and implemented intensified screening of all passengers and luggage into and out of Nigeria. This action follows publication of Nigerian media reports alleging a terrorist plot to place explosives on commercial airlines.
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria is not recommending any change to current travel guidance and reminds U.S. citizens that terrorists continue plotting possible attacks in Nigeria and may attack with little or no warning.
Actions to Take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Review your personal security plans
- Report social media threats to local authorities
- U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria
+(234) 9 461-4328
+(234) 9 461-4000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria
+(234) 1 460-3400
+(234) 80 3402-3400 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.